Navbar

  • About
  • Recipes
  • For the Home
  • Travel
  • Contact

Banner

7.11.2013

Being Bad 30% of The Time

Photo Credit: Tucker's
Ever hear of the 80/20 rule? No, not the the Pareto Principle or the one defined on Urban Dictionary. (you can pretty much assume anything on this blog has not been also defined on Urban Dictionary). The 80/20 rule I'm talking about is what a lot of fitness gurus and the like swear by. It means eating at an almost pious level 80% of the time and "treating" one's self 20% of the time. It makes a lot of sense to me, except that my ratio is a lot more like 70/30...and you know what? that's totally okay! And if the ratio dips into 50/50 during those summer days when you just can't say no to ice cream after your dinner of grilled hot dogs and potato chips, then so be it! (For a great read on accepting one's self flaws and all, please head to my friend Caro's hilarious and poignant blog) The important thing is to be aware of what's going into your body and to enjoy every crumb and dribble of the naughty stuff when you do have it. Another way I stick to my 70/30 manifesto is my body's own saturated fat/sugar/salt threshold. I can't eat burgers/fries, pizza, and ice cream for every meal every day because I hate how I feel. After I indulge in one of the above, I crave a guilt-eraser if you will. Some sort of healthful food that not only balances out my last not-so-virtuous meal, but also something that actually makes me feel good inside again. Doing something active every day also helps keep that 70/30 ratio in check too!
Photo Credit: Tucker's
Earlier this week, we went to Tucker's-- a must-eat burger joint when you're in OKC. On the nutrition side, these delectable onion burgers have no redeeming qualities. However, the ingredients are local and the taste is uncomplicated and sinful. I don't need to look up the nutrition facts because there is nothing that tastes this good under 800 calories. After enjoying Tucker's the way it's meant to be enjoyed: AKA with a side of freshly-cut fries...I knew I wanted a guilt-eraser for dinner. Enter, the Kale Salad with Dates, Almonds, and Parmesan. On the good-for-you/terrible-for-you spectrum of foods, I believe Kale is at the exact opposite end from Tucker's cheeseburgers. This Kale salad, however, is truly delicious-- in its own, non-cheeseburger way!
Photo Credit: Me
Guilt Eraser: Kale Salad with Almonds and Dates
Serves 3


Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 shallot, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 bunches kale, stems removed, leaves chopped
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup sliced almonds
8 dates, pitted and chopped
2 1/2 ounces Parmesan, shaved with a peeler

Directions
  1. In a bowl, whisk lemon juice, shallot, honey, salt and pepper flakes.
  2. Add kale; toss well. Let sit 20 minutes. Mix in oil. Refrigerate for up to 1 day, or serve immediately.
  3. In a dry pan, toast almonds over medium heat, tossing constantly, until color deepens, Don’t allow the burner to get too hot, or you might scorch the almonds. Toast for 1 to 2 minutes.
  4. Add almonds, dates and Parmesan to kale; serve.


Recipe adapted from: SELF Decemeber 2012 by Zoe Singer 

2 comments: