|Photo Credit: Me|
1 pound Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage
1 large onion, sliced thinly
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
2 red bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press
½ cup Chardonnay
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
2 Tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, julienned, divided use
8 ounces Gluten Free Tagliatelle or Pappardelle noodles, uncooked
- Place a large pan over medium-high heat; add 1 tablespoons of olive oil, and once the oil is hot, put the spicy Italian sausage into the pan. Break up the sausage with a spoon. Once the crumbled sausage is browned, remove it from the pan.
- Add the sliced onion into the pan with the sausage drippings, to allow it to caramelize. Once the onions become clear, add one tablespoon of red wine vinegar. Continue to caramelize the onions for about four more minutes. Do not allow the onions to burn.
- Once the onion starts to become golden, add the salt, Italian seasoning and cracked black pepper, and stir to combine, then add in the sliced bell peppers and garlic, and allow those to sauté with the onion for about 2 minutes until slightly tender.
- Add in the Chardonnay and allow it to reduce until almost completely reduced
- Add in the diced tomatoes and return the browned sausage back into the pan. Fold the mixture to combine.
- Simmer the mixture for 5 minutes. Turn the heat off. Add in the chopped parsley and half of the basil. Stir.
- Prepare the pasta according to the instructions on package. Drain the pasta and add it directly into the sauce. Toss and combine the pasta with the sauce.
- Plate the pasta and top with fresh basil and parmesan.